Monday 8 July 2013

I can make cookies EVEN BETTER

What's better than cookies do you ask? Ice cream sandwiches!

And guess what else? Summer is just around the corner! Well, maybe not technically, but after the amazing weekend we had (including a whole day spent on the beach!!) I can feel it coming.

And while I may be 7 months late in saying this, I've decided on my new year's resolution. I'm going to take more (calculated) risks, try and relax a little more, and find more ways to enjoy Australia for the time that I'm here. Sounds easy while I'm typing it out... let's see how I go!

Calculated risk #1? Well I'm not sure I'm ready to share it online just yet... but let's just say I'll be doing a lot of experimenting with cookie and ice cream recipes!

This was my first ice cream sandwich. I made it a few weeks ago with actually no intention of turning it into a sandwich. I made these double chocolate cranberry cookies and a few days later as I was soaking in the sun on our balcony I remembered we had a tub of ice cream in the freezer! My new baby was born (figuratively speaking of course). I made these sandwiches B.C.: before churn :) so I just used a store bought chocolate ripple vanilla ice cream. But I just finished my first successful batch of homemade fresh strawberry ice cream and will be posting that soon!


The first thing I've learned about ice cream sandwiches is how important it is that both elements (cookie + ice cream) are the same degree of frozen! I made up a few quick sandwiches last night and put them in the freezer. But they were only in there for about 10 minutes. Being the perfect temperature to freeze the cookie crunchy but leave the ice cream too soft and squishy. Resulting in a delicious, yet messy snack. I'm still working on a cookie recipe that stays soft and chewy even when frozen. Any tips?

These may be my favourite double chocolate cookies. The edges are a little crispy, but for the most part these cookies are soft, dense, and chewy. And the dried cranberries add a burst of sweet/tart goodness in every bit.


For the sandwiches, I would recommend making and eating immediately. These cookies lose their dense chewy texture when frozen. So if you're in the mood for a quick and delicious treat, make a batch of these cookies, squish them together with one of your favourite ice creams, and enjoy!

Double Chocolate Cranberry Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries

In a large mixing bowl cream the butter with both sugars. Beat in the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated. Add the vanilla.

In another bowl combine all the dry ingredients with the chocolate chips and cranberries.

Mix together the contents of both bowls until just combined. Chill dough for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.

Once ready to bake, preheat your oven to 170F. Shape the cookies by tablespoonful and bake 8-10 minutes until the sides are just cooked and feel slightly crispy. It's best to err on the undercooked rather than overcooked side of things.

Ice cream sandwich anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment