Monday 24 June 2013

Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E.

I love Friends. And when I say that I don't just mean my friends... (but don't worry I love you guys too) I mean Friends the show! I know you all do too, just admit it. Even after having watched all the seasons about 100 times all the way through, I can still come home and watch it any day, any time. It's the best. I'm actually watching the episode where Ross moves in with Chandler and Joey right now. I think this has to be my favourite. I can't stop laughing.

Another really good episode coincidentally always makes me hungry. The episode where Joey is a detective called Mac and his sidekick is a robot called C.H.E.E.S.E. Get it? Okay, enough about Friends and more about delicious food!

I make this whenever I'm really hungry, kind of cold, and looking to hold a big bowl of deliciousness in my arms. This is technically Butternut Squash Mac 'n' Cheese, but to be honest, now I only make mac 'n' cheese this way. I think the slight sweetness of the squash really nicely complements the sharp cheddar and the salty parmesan cheeses.

Mac 'n' Cheese


1/2 large butternut squash
1/2 lb short macaroni
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper
pinch nutmeg
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Extra grated cheese and parm
Handful of bread crumbs (optional)




 Peel and seed the squash and cut into large chunks. Steam it until it is soft and completely cooked through. I did it in a big pot with about an inch of water. But you could just microwave it in a bit of water, covered. Once the squash is cooked, drain away all the excess liquid and mash until smooth. Set aside.




Boil the pasta to al dente. Don't overcook it at this stage because it will go back into the oven and continue to cook later.

Look at that macaroni! You can use any shape you like, I just think the ribbed sides and big fat shape of denti rigati work perfectly!
 
   

If you want to add some extra vegetables (like the broccoli I used) that need to be blanched, add it to the pasta water to finish off cooking with the pasta. This way you can drain everything together :)
Next is time to make the cheese sauce! In a sauce pan melt the butter. Add the flour and, on low heat, cook the roux for 1 minute stirring constantly. Heat up the milk to just above body temperature (you can use the microwave to make things easier). Doing this ensures it mixes easily into the hot roux resulting in a smooth perfect sauce! Gradually add the milk to the roux whisking all the while until all the milk is in the pot and you have a smooth sauce.

Cook over medium heat and stir with a wooden spoon until the sauce just comes to a boil and begins to thickens up. Turn the pot to low heat. Add all the cheese and stir until completely melted into the milk. Now is the time to season! Very important. Add salt and lots of black pepper. And the secret ingredient, nutmeg! I put nutmeg in every white sauce I make. It has this warming quality that gives the sauce a real savouriness that salt can't do on it's own.

Now is the time to put everything together. Mashed squash, cooked macaroni, cheese sauce. At this point, if you like extra creamy mac 'n' cheese, you can just eat it straight out of the pot. In out house we face a bit of a dilemma. Nick likes it straight from the pot. But I prefer it after it's been in the oven for a bit getting golden brown and chewy crunchy. What I do now, I think, is a good comprimise of both worlds.

Steamy, creamy, cheesy, delicious!
Pour the mixture into a casserole dish. Take some extra grated cheese and mix it with some parmesan cheese and a handful of breadcrumbs. Sprinkle this mixture over the mac 'n' cheese and put the dish under the broiler (grill) until the top is golden brown and crispy. This means you get the crispy golden melty top that I love, and the gooey, straight-from-the-pot mac 'n' cheese that Nick loves. Now this is what I call conflict resolution ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment