Tuesday 7 May 2013

Exploring Rhubarb

I usually get all my grocery shopping done in one go. On Sundays, Nick and I get in the truck and head down to the grocery store to buy everything we'll need for the week. I love doing groceries. I make a weekly menu at home, write a list of everything I'll need,  and leisurely browse the shelves of the supermarket picking up anything extra that catches my eye.

But this weekend was a little bit different. Saturday I spent the day indulging in some much needed girl time shopping at the Glebe Markets, and capped off the day eating (almost) a whole rack of saucy beef ribs. Then Sunday was Easter Sunday starting with a four hour lunch with family, and ending with my first blog posting! So needless to say, groceries were neglected. Meaning that on Monday after a full day of work, Nick and I had a little Supermarket Sweep to get done.

With no weekly menu written out and definitely no time to make a list, we jumped in the truck and I decided to let the seasonal produce set my course. First thing I noticed was the deliciously floral smell of ripe quince!... but we'll get to those beauties this weekend. It wasn't until I was almost through the fresh produce section that I noticed the deep red and crispy rhubarb just calling for me to pick it up. And it was on sale! I love how you can get fruit and vegetables the cheapest when they are the most naturally ripe.

The first thing that came to my head was strawberry rhubarb pie. But with strawberry season pretty much over, I decided to take the opportunity to look at rhubarb a bit more creatively. And thanks to the fabulous weather Sydney's had lately I was really craving something fresh and punchy so... Salsa! Feel free to eat this salsa with fish, chicken, tacos, etc. I put mine on some pork schnitzel I fried up. The sour crunchiness of the rhubarb paired with the sweet crisp apple made a great topping for the pork.



But there's still plenty of rhubarb left over so get your glasses of milk ready for a sweet dessert next..

Rhubarb Salsa




1 cup  small dice rhubarb
1 cup    small dice apple
3 tbsp minced scallion
1/2       minced chile
1 small lemon, juiced
1 tsp     chopped parsley
3 tsp     honey
1 tsp     olive oil
1       orange, segmented
salt and pepper to taste
To start with cut the ends off one big stalk of rhubarb and, just like celery, peel back the tough skin to reveal the light pink insides of the rhubarb. Finely dice and put in a mixing bowl. Next finely dice the apple and add it to the rhubarb. Any sweet and crisp apple will work, and don't worry about peeling it because the skin not only adds another great colour to the salsa, but nutritional value as well. Add the minced spring onion, chile (as much as you dare!), lemon juice, honey, olive oil, and seasoning to the bowl as well.



Now time to segment the orange. You can use any citrus fruit you'd like, I just the like sweetness and bursts of fresh juice an orange gives to the salsa. To segment an orange first you cut off both ends of the orange so you have two flat surfaces. Next take your knife and run it down the sides, following the natural curve of the orange removing all of the white pith.



Once you have a perfectly cleaned orange, use you knife to cut between the segments, removing the juicy fruit. Be sure to do this over the bowl of salsa so you catch any juice that runs out of the orange.

Once you have your segments added to the salsa, the only thing to do is to wait for all the ingredients to meld together. It won't take long. I'd say give the salsa a good 20 minute rest and then have at it! 

As I said before, I served the salsa on top of some pork schnitzel. The apple and rhubarb combination made this really nice sweet and sour combo that lifted the pork schnitzel to a refreshing and slightly healthier level. Enjoy, because I can't promise you the next rhubarb recipe will be quite as good for you :)








No comments:

Post a Comment